Tuesday, May 24, 2011

I think I have a type when it comes to cop shows...

...ones that are canceled in the first season. This revelation comes after the series finale of The Chicago Code last night. I have really enjoyed this show. It hasn't been perfect, but I know I would have kept on watching if it was on next year.
I want to see how they would have dealt with prosecuting Gibbons, seeing Liam/Chris being incorporated into the police force, and generally see more of these characters and this take on the city. It interests me.
Another example is Southland. I watched the first two seasons in the past weeks. (While Southland lives on, it was canceled, so it counts.) Watching the first episode my reactions were 1) this is amazing, and 2) I am not surprised at all that this was canceled from network TV. It's too difficult. Their isn't a main character. Not all characters appear in all episodes. I didn't even notice this at first, because it worked so well. Excluding a thread for an episode didn't make me feel like something was missing. Yet this is completely unlike any other show I can think of, except for maybe Game of Thrones, which is not really a relevant comparison. Like at all. Southland is really slow moving. The procedural aspect is relatively snappy and self contained, but the character development is glacial. We learn little pieces, but so far no full pictures. (Part of this is the low number of episodes in a season.)
Another cop show that I've just started watching (because it's on netflix instant, and the internet is offers dangerous suggestions, and because I only have three days of school left) is The Unusuals. It has a completely different charm. It wasn't canceled because it was too serious, or too...whatever The Chicago Code was, but too quirky and odd. It has too much character to watch mindlessly. One of the detectives started the show dressed like a hooker! Another pretends to be a cook! Another is pretending he doesn't have a brain tumor and his partner is convinced that he's going to die! Look at them, they're so not the normal tough badass cop cliche. They're weird!
And that's why the show didn't catch on. Network television doesn't want weird. (cough*pushing up daises*cough) And that's why I like all these shows, because they're not the typical procedural. So basically I'm screwed. But whatever.

STRAY THOUGHT
I had never seen Jeremy Renner in anything before watching The Unusuals, and this makes confident that he can totally be Hawkeye, which is very important.

No comments: